Notes to visitors
Proper nutrition for busy gentlemen and ladies
We know that Hong Kong lifestyle is very busy, especially for those working adults. Most of the time they are fighting with job targets, but then they forget what the body needs to support their energetic life during the day.
Our dietitian introduces some easy-to-follow tips for ladies and gentlemen to obtain proper nutrition. Below are the nutrients that are important to adult men in general.
- Grains – provide major calories of the day. Choose more varieties of wholegrain starchy food to help lower heart disease risk. Add this food in your main meals every day.
- Green and colourful vegetables – rich source of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Many plant foods are functional food for example, those rich in “Lycopene” (e.g. papaya, tomato, watermelon, sweet potatoes), are significantly important to maintain prostate health in middle-aged men.
- Calcium - for healthy bone and teeth especially in middle-aged adults. Have at least one portion of calcium-rich food daily, including low fat high calcium dairy products, soya bean product or calcium-fortified food.
- Protein – from animal or plant sources, is important for cell metabolism. Opt for low fat source of protein-rich foods especially from plant sources, lean meat and fish.
- Oily / Fatty fish – rich in omega fatty acids for heart, bone and brain health. Count at least one to two portions every week.
- Fresh fruits – rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and soluble fibre, help to strengthen individual’s immune system and maintain good gut health.
- Water - is essential for every life. It functions as a major constituent of the body, transporting nutrients and compounds in blood, removing waste products that are passed in the urine and act as a lubricant for shock absorber in joints.
As for ladies, some of the major nutrients that are important to them are the same as those for men. These include grains, green and colourful vegetables, calcium, protein, fatty fish, fresh fruits, water etc. Other than these, nutrients such as folic acids and iron are specifically important to women.
- Dark green vegetables – rich source of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants & folic acid. Folic acids are especially important to women during their fertility age to ensure healthy growth of foetus.
- Iron – Iron is important to everyone, especially for vegetarians. But women need more iron than men do due to loss of blood from menstrual cycles. Iron-rich food sources include red meat, ducks, turkey, pork, fatty fish, kale, spinach, beans, lentils and fortified cereals.